This recipe is fab because it’s a classic with a new twist – tofu. Subtract the fat and add in the protein and you’ve got comfort food that won’t even make you sleepy afterward. Enjoy!
What You Need
- 1 pkg tofu (usually just under 16 oz)
- 16 jumbo shells
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 1 10-oz pkg of frozen spinach, thawed/drained/chopped OR 2 cups of finely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 3 tbs parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh, shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs basil
- 1/2 tbs oregano
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- large mixing bowl
- 9×13″ baking dish, greased
- your big bad bare hands
What You Do
- press the tofu. if you don’t have a press, just drain it and place something heavy on top for about 20 min. then, squeeze it by the handful (letting it crumble) to get the rest of the drippy moisture out. the texture should looks something like ricotta cheese (yet, the very cheese we’re omitting from this recipe).
- preheat the oven to 350F
- boil the pasta, until it’s al dente, then carefully scoop out the shells, draining them and arranging them for easy grabbing when you’re ready to stuff.
- in a large mixing bowl, mix: spinach, crumbled tofu, cheese, herbs, garlic salt, pepper. mix thoroughly with your hands, crumbing the tofu completely so that it has the texture of ricotta cheese.
- put a thin coating of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish
- spoon the tofu mixture into the shells, packing in lightly, and filling completely. place stuffed shells into the dish.
- once all shells are in the dish, spoon marinara sauce over each shell, using the entire jar
- top with more parmesan cheese
- cover with foil and bake for about 35 min at 350F. uncover and bake for 15 more min. enjoy with a leafy salad and crusty bread.