This is not my recipe. This is the Arrowhead Mills recipe for frosting that comes on the side of their cake mix. I’m just posting it here so I can reference it later. Contact Arrowhead Mills at arrowheadmills.com. I LIKE this recipe though because it make rich frosting with all natural ingredients. No preservatives or other nonsense. Keep in mind, the frosting sets up when it cools. You may need to take your bowl back over to the stove to heat over warm water if it gets too still while you’re putting it on.
What You Need
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3 cups Hain Organic Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
What You Do
- Melt butter in a 4 qt pan on low heat.
- Add in the cocoa and mix on medium speed.
- Slowly add in sugar and milk (alternating between the sugar and the milk) while mixing on medium speed.
- Add in the coffee, then the vanilla.
- Mix on fast speed until smooth.
- Spread on cake while frosting is still warm.
Makes enough icing to ice two 9×13″ cakes or one two-layer cake.